A World Of Risk is the Chartered Insurance Institute’s Special Report on building a trusted international insurance profession.
Insurance was one of the first professional disciplines to operate across national borders, driven by the growth in international trade in the 17th century. As entrepreneurs explored new markets, transporting highly valued cargo on oceangoing vessels, they faced multiple risks. Edward Lloyd’s famous coffee house became an indispensable meeting place for traders to connect with those who had the means and will to underwrite their adventures.
Today, insurance is firmly established as an essential sector within the global economy, employing an estimated three million people worldwide, and there are many researchers who provide valuable information on its size and scale as a business. This Special Report has a different perspective and focuses on the world of insurance as a profession, exhibiting the characteristics of other established professions such as medicine, the law, accountancy and surveying – all of which derive their legitimacy from serving the public and earning the public’s trust.
The purpose of A World Of Risk is to:
- Showcase the inspiring work that’s underway, across the world, to build a trusted international insurance profession.
- Highlight the crucial role of the CII affiliated institutes around the world.
- Promote engagement and collaboration across borders.
- The contents include contributions from:
- The CII’s international affiliate institutes
- Experts from across the profession – employers, individuals, regulators and educators.